Warframe will soon see the biggest update ever for the game, which was teased a couple of months ago at Tennocon. Generally missions are procedurally generated and contained to a small area, however that is is all gone now with this new update. Plains of Eidolon will place players in an open world environment, which is unlike anything we’ve seen before in Warframe. The freedom to go anywhere in the roughly 9km play space, as mentioned in the livestream, with the ability to run, flight, fly, fish and talk to NPCs in a rich and dynamic landscape is a welcomed change. During the latest dev stream, Digital Extreme showed another lengthy gameplay demo with a variety of elements you can do including a tease of fighting new creatures only available in the expansion. You can watch the VOD on their Twitch page here: https://www.twitch.tv/warframe
I personally got hooked on Warframe during the middle of Destiny’s cycle and found the grind to be really enjoyable, but after a while I was really looking forward to the possibility of an open world aspect. Well, wish granted. For a free to play game, this content is huge, and an amazing addition to my grinding addiction that Destiny 2 provides. Here is some more info. from the press release:
Key features in Plains of Eidolon include:
- Landscapes (Open Zones)
- Until now, Warframe missions have taken place in relatively closed environments. With the Plains of the Eidolon expansion, players will set foot in a vast natural landscape free to explore on their own terms.
- Meet the Inhabitants of Cetus
- Never before have Tenno encountered the faceless people whose lives they have saved, until now. Meet the Ostrons, a makeshift group of scavengers whose culture revolves around the grotesque harvesting of biomechanical tissue from long dormant Orokin Towers.
- Different Kind of Mission
- In addition to discovering and exploring, players will engage in an assortment of missions to find and assemble new Warframes and weapons, items and more. Expect to strap on Archwing for air travel and battle, and experiment with customizing and modding a Warframe like never before.
- Discover and Explore
- Plains of the Eidolon offers a sense of discovery, variety, and mystery that mixes several different environments and tones to create a deep sense of place. Experience a bristling new world in where the wind rustles across your Syandana and the age and size of giant Orokin structures ominously looms in the background. Earth will be more alive than ever before.